Japan: Silencing the voices of Okinawans
Date : 2017.02.03
Together with All Okinawa Council for Human Rights, IMADR released a report “Silencing the voices of Okinawans”, which illustrates the systematic violation of freedom of expressions in Okinawa.
The report addresses the following issues:
- The accelerating oppression on the protest activity;
- Riot police officer’s “Dojin” remark incident;
- Mainland media’s biased coverage of Okinawa;
- Issues related to human rights remedy system;
- The legal basis for a Yellow Line at the gates of U.S. military bases and its arbitrary application; and
- List of violence, detention and arrests in Henoko and Takae, Okinawa (2014-2017).
Download the full report here