Recruitment: UN Advocacy Internship (Summer 2015)
Date : 2015.05.22
IMADR is looking for a full-time intern for the period of three months starting on 3rd August 2015.
The aim of our internship programme is to provide human rights activists or students interested or committed in working on human rights issues, in particular in combatting racism and racial discrimination, with on-the-job training opportunities to familiarise themselves with the UN human rights mechanism. Through the internship, s/he will be involved in the work of IMADR at the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) in general, and advocacy work on Sri Lanka at the Human Rights Council.
Period: August to October 2015
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Role: Assisting the Geneva office at the 87th session of the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD, 3-28 August) and the 30th session of the Human Rights Council (HRC, 14 September – 2 October)
- Monitoring and webcasting of the 87th session of the CERD.
- Taking notes during the HRC session including at consultations on draft resolutions and side-events.
- Assisting in organising side-events at the HRC session.
- Preparing news items and advocacy tools of/ for the CERD and HRC, i.e. oral statements, written submissions and analysis of the CERD.
- Assisting in admin work/basic documentation.
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in human rights, law, international relations or relevant areas.
- Strong communications skills in English.
- Good team-working and research skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, Outlook and internet).
- Interest and knowledge of issues relating to racial discrimination, i.e. minority rights, indigenous rights, multiple discriminations, discrimination based on work and descent.
- Knowledge of French, Spanish and/or Japanese.
- Knowledge of the UN human rights mechanisms, in particular the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination and its monitoring body (CERD), and the Human Rights Council.
- Experience of working in the NGO environment.
Financial and other forms of assistance:
IMADR is currently not in a position to remunerate this internship or apply for a visa. Although we do not provide any kind of accommodation coverage, our office can help her/him to find lodging in Geneva upon request. Monthly transportation allowance within Geneva will be provided. S/he must be able to commit for a minimum of 35 hours per week for 3 months, be a Swiss/ EU national or hold a valid permit which allows staying and undertaking internship in Switzerland.
How to apply:
Applicants must submit their CV, a brief cover letter with a short English writing sample not edited by others to Taisuke Komatsu (Mr.), geneva[@]imadr.org (remove “” when you send application) . Please use “UN Advocacy Internship” in the subject line of your e-mail. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: Applications should be submitted via email by Wednesday 17th June 2015. Interviews will take place on the week of the 22nd June at the IMADR Geneva office or via Skype.